Monday, August 31, 2015

Tokidoki Barbie 2015 update: The Platinum Label version

It seems Mattel is not only releasing one Tokidoki Barbie but two. As you can read here, there is a Black label version of the doll coming out on the 1st of September but there will be a second version of the doll, as a Platinum Label edition (no more than 999 dolls available). The catch is that the doll will be available only to those that can complete a treasure hunt for her. It seems Mattel likes to put collectors through hoops to get their rare edition dolls - let's hope the newly updated Barbie Collection website will be up to par for the frenzy coming upon it in two days.


The news were revealed on the Barbie Collection website, first through a video exclusive to club members, but then there was a post for everyone to read. The process will be like this:

The Black Label® version of the doll will be easy to find, while supplies last – the last tokidoki® Barbie Doll was one of the hottest sellers of 2011 – but the Platinum Label® version will be much harder to find. Some will be mixed in with shipments of the Black Label® doll to select retail outlets, and some will be available in the online shop beginning on 9/1 at 9 am PT.Two webpages, somewhere on TheBarbieCollection.com, will have a picture of the tokidoki Cactus Friend that comes with the Platinum Label doll:



When you find the Cactus Friend, click on it to be taken straight to the hidden shop page for the Platinum Label tokidoki Barbie Doll. What webpages will they be, you might ask? Since it’s a Treasure Hunt, we can give you a hint … one single paragraph in this very news story has the answer to which two webpages will have the Cactus Friend on them! It’ll be smaller than the example you see in this news story, but it will be up high, and not in any of the headers, footers, or sidebars of the site. Good luck with the Hunt, and don’t forget to pick up the Black Label version of tokidoki Barbie Doll as fast as you can.

I wish good luck to everyone who tries to get her, it will be hard. She does look better than the Black Label version but still not the kind of doll I collect.

All photos ©2015 Mattel. All Rights Reserved. ©TOKIDOKI, LLC. Designed by Simone Legno

20 comments:

  1. I found her too late. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I am sad...........

      Delete
    2. Where was the link for the sake of argument.

      Delete
  2. The lavender haired one looked like a dream to me. Spent 45 minutes trying to find the hidden link. When I finally found her, she was long gone. It would be so much kinder to those who wanted her to collect, not to just turn around and sell for a huge markup, if Barbie Collector did lotteries similar to Integrity Toys. Wish Barbie Collector would figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too tried for a long time and it was too late .

      Delete
  3. I am soooo mad about this. The other widely released doll doesn't look nearly as cool and I'm not even sure that I want to buy her, even though she is still available to buy and isn't sold out yet. Which really sucks because back when the 1st one was released years ago, I really wanted her and tried but she sold out too fast. And then people sold them on eBay for like $400 each! Which is bullshit and not at all fair to the fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me! I bought the first one and the site and got a receipt for it but they emailed me back saying they let overbooked it and refunded my purchase. It's still outrageously priced on ebay. UGH! I bought the pink one but I really just want the platinum label purple one. Sad day.
      :((((((

      Delete
  4. I really wish that they had released these equally. The purple haired one is WAY more my personal style. Pink isn't my favourite, and I tend to dye my own hair teal and purple shades. I wear spiky bracelets like her, and have two pet cats so the little spiky cat ears headband is amazing! Really really bummed out that they made it so hard to get. I did buy the other 2015 one with the cute donut headband, though. Still really cute. I wasn't able to get the first one that came out years ago because it sold out so fast and everyone selling on eBay marked it up to $400-800 each, which is insanity. I've been bummed out about it ever since! So I had to get it. It was a lot for international fans, though, which is also a bummer. $150 after taxes and currency conversion! And I'm just North of the border in Canada, too. But I still would rather swallow the cost than regret it for another 5 years lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also jumped through hoops to find the platinum doll and never found the symbol they said to look for - went through every page I could think of. Finally, I found a link to the doll itself, and by the time I found that, it said it was no longer available. This was probably 45 minutes after sales began. Really unfortunate for true collectors. I won't be buying this one, as it will be selling on the secondary market for hundreds of dollars, and I refuse to pay that. I like the platinum version much more than the regular doll. I wouldn't be upset about these instant sellouts nearly as much if I thought true collectors were getting the dolls. Instead, I think those looking to profit on the secondary market come in and snap them up, and that's just upsetting for true collectors who actually want the doll rather than wanting a huge profit in their pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw all 3 dolls for sale on EBay for over $4500.00. I think this was an unfair business practice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just saw all 3 for sale on EBay for over $4500.00.
    Unfair business practice. Not appreciated by a true collector.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is not fair to true barbie collectors. I'm very very upset with all these tricks.. i'm moving towards Fashion Royalty Dolls, Integrity Toys already.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes its very Unfair not happy about either ... I wished barbie Collector would . See that on Ebay ... Its not cool .. And the person selling them for 4 thousands dollars to greedy ...and barbie Collector needs to see that

    ReplyDelete
  10. The platinum label purple-haired doll is selling on ebay with starting bids no lower than $700. Some have been bid up to $1200! I don't know who has that kind of money to spend on a doll that originally cost $75, but more power to them if they do. I just know I will NEVER get a chance to add that doll to my collection at prices like this. Very unfortunate that true collectors don't get the opportunity to buy these dolls before greedy sellers snap them up to sell for profit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the blonde one at Target yesterday for $75

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no blond Tokidoki Barbie doll.

      Delete
    2. There is no such thing as a blond Tokidoki Barbie doll.

      Delete
  12. I have for years tried to get a Platinum Barbie. It is always the same, site shuts down, or item does not go into your shopping bag, even if it say it has. I stayed up all night to get the Lagerfeld. Three times it said it was in the basket only to find it empty on checkout. I have been collecting for over 30 years and only managed gold label. I don't resell my dolls, I enjoy them. To bad for Barbie. The Fan Club did not sell out this year and probably won't next. Fans are sick of the hassle. The only people who profit are the re-sellers on secondary sites, not the true Barbie lovers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just why is the $$$ barbie better looking than the pink one? I collect colored haired dolls and adore both. Why not later make a black label one very similar to purple hair's face with periwinke or aqua hair?

    ReplyDelete
  14. A long time ago when they first started the treasure hunt dolls I was able to find them the trick was just figuring out what store was going to sell them. Meijer sold the redheaded version of 2003 Barbie and the Exotic Beauty Barbie with the alternate jewelry was available at Walmart. At least back then people had a chance of just finding them in their local store toy sections!!

    ReplyDelete